About JMIR Publications
JMIR Publications is a rapidly growing open access publisher of peer-reviewed STEM journals, with an emphasis on medicine, health, and technology titles. The ambitious vision of JMIR Publications is to lead the transformation to open science and to contribute to a world where people are empowered by health research and technology to make effective and informed decisions.
JMIR Publications is seeking qualified individuals to take on editorial responsibility as co-Editor-in-Chief for its flagship journal, Journal of Medical Internet Research. Over its 20-year history, the Journal of Medical Internet Research has received continued recognition as a leading digital health journal, both in quality (leading impact factors) and quantity (number of articles published).
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
Working closely with the Founding Publisher, Gunther Eysenbach, MD, MPH, FACMI, and the Editorial Department and co-Editors-in-Chief of the journal, a successful candidate will co-lead this well-respected journal to lead it to the next level of excellence. In addition to upholding editorial strategy, publication quality, and research integrity, the candidate also:
- Works with a team of editorial board members to shape, lead, and execute the journal’s editorial vision - Sets a vision, priorities, and objectives for the journal - Creates and implementing a strategy to strengthen and grow the journal’s operation and impact - Sustains a diverse and highly skilled editorial board by recruiting editorial board members - Encourage and solicit the submission of original high‐quality manuscripts and theme issues from colleagues and leading researchers - Oversee the identification, peer review, and editorial processing of journal content in close collaboration with the publisher
- PhD and/or MD and/or doctoral degree equivalent in the field of digital health, medical informatics, behavioural sciences, or similar field - Highly regarded, internationally recognized, active biomedical scientist or academic clinician active in the fields mentioned above - Passionate about health research and technology, innovation, and health information dissemination - Energetic and innovative leader, committed to maintaining a high level of integrity while delivering high-quality research quickly and efficiently - Thought leader that will drive strategy and innovation in publishing and digital health, foster a community of authors, editors, and reviewers, and solicit high-quality research from leading authors in the field. - History of publishing with journals and scholarly publications in their field(s) of expertise, preferably including also JMIR Publications journals - Editorial experience as a journal editor, and/or deputy or associate editor in a biomedical journal with experience in the peer review process and communicating with authors, reviewers, and publishers. - Familiar with reporting standards, ethical guidelines for publishing, and be aware of the current new developments and changes in the publishing environment, such as preprints
- Active biomedical scientist or academic clinician with expertise in medical informatics or digital health or adjacent fields such as public health or health services research - Editorial experience in reviewing manuscripts for quality, methodological accuracy, relevance, contribution, and potential impact - Experience communicating with authors, reviewers, and publishers - Familiarity with reporting standards and ethical guidelines for publishing as well as awareness of the current new developments and changes in the publishing environment, such as preprints
- Energetic and innovative leader - Passionate about health research and technology, innovation, and health information dissemination, and familiar with current trends in digital health - Critical Thinker and Problem Solver - Uses rigor, fact-based data & logic to solve difficult problems - Clear Communicator - Effectively communicates written and oral with all stakeholders, including external scientific and scholarly industry, authors and publisher staff. - High-quality Work - Detail-oriented delivering high-quality research quickly and efficiently. Also has a passion for the English academic and scientific language and clarity of expression - Honesty and Integrity - Transparent in their approach and is trusted widely by others. Is seen as open, truthful and direct. Operates with respect, transparency, committed to maintaining a high level of integrity - Science standard-bearer - Supports all facets of evaluating and disseminating high-quality research from leading authors in the field
- Compensation will be commensurate with the journal and candidate’s experience. - This is a part-time 2 year contract position - We will pay an Honorarium of $15,000 -$ 25,000
Interested candidates should submit the following documents:
1. A current CV and/or resume; 2. A letter outlining their vision for the journal; 3. Additional comments in the provided letter describing why you are a match for this position, description of any potential conflicts of interest
JMIR Publications is an equal opportunity employer. We wish to thank all those who apply, however, only those individuals whose skills and experience most closely match our requirements will be contacted by a member of our team.
All interviews will be held via video conference. Please send your resume as a PDF or word attachment and include a personal email address.