JMIR Publications, an academic publisher of peer-reviewed STM journals with an emphasis on medicine, health, and technology titles, is seeking enthusiastic, self-motivated team members. We are a rapidly growing open access publisher (Growth500 company — one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada) with a strong social mission: To transform scholarly communication, and to make health and medical information available to people when they need it. While our primary users and clients are academic authors and researchers, we are increasingly developing innovative products and services for other user groups such as patients and consumers.
We offer competitive compensation, including a comprehensive, flexible benefits program that includes Extended Health and Dental Coverage, Disability Coverage, and Life and Critical Illness Coverage. We are located in a beautiful new office space near the harbour front, with free snacks and beverages, and regular social events as a company such as BBQs. Due to the current pandemic, a work-from-home policy is temporarily in place.
We are currently seeking an organized, detail-oriented, and service-focused individual for the position of Production Editor.
- A university or college degree/diploma, preferably in an area related to communicating in English (such as Publishing, English studies, Communications, etc.), or experience in related fields may be acceptable in lieu of the academic requirements.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills - Excellent proofreading skills - Attention to detail - Ability to consistently meet deadlines - Planning, organization, and project tracking skills - Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative - Ability to work collaboratively - Sound and mature judgement, tact, and good decision-making skills - Excellent communication skills — both verbal and written - Flexibility and adaptability - Proficiency with current office-productivity tools such as Google Docs and Sheets, Word, Excel, etc, as well as the ability to learn the organization’s web-based system for layout/typesetting - Must be eligible to work in Canada (for students see also https://tinyurl.com/4x8x478p)
- 1–3 years of experience in editing, proofreading, and/or production editing - Experience with MS Office suite of productivity tools - Experience in small office where flexibility and multitasking are key
The following would be considered strong assets:
- Familiarity with scholarly content and journal publishing - Experience with content tracking and management databases - Familiarity with XML and JATS - Familiarity with AMA style - Background that includes familiarity with life sciences such as medicine, biochemistry, pharmaceuticals, etc.
What you’ll be doing:
An integral role within the production department, the Production Editor will assess, correct, and convert copyedited manuscripts into top-quality XML for digital publication (PDF, HTML, etc.), and communicate with authors, academic editors, copy editors, and JMIR staff to produce final publications according to our standards and industry best practices.
- Convert scholarly medical and open science journal manuscripts from Word doc format to XML (a data format) and PDF using our automated web-based tool - Track the flow of assigned manuscripts through the typesetting and proofreading stages, to ensure that all manuscripts are published by their publication date - Perform quality assurance tasks on journal manuscripts before, during, and after conversion to XML and PDF, such as: - cleaning manuscripts for style - identifying and correcting language errors such as typos, spelling, etc. - checking references for completeness and style - checking author data in our metadata form for correctness, and edit as necessary - adjusting the XML to format the PDF and adhere to XML best practices - Send manuscripts to authors for proofing, and carry out author correction requests as appropriate, according to journal and AMA style - Communicate with authors in a timely and professional manner - Track assigned manuscripts to ensure that outstanding queries and proofs are followed-up on regularly - Take part in team meetings, offering suggestions for improvements of workflow or style guide–related processes - Make suggestions to the Senior Production Editors about updates/improvements/creation of new articles for our Knowledge Base for authors, as well as for the internal Knowledge Base for staff - Provide support and/or holiday coverage for other Production Editors - Submit bug reports to our development team, and follow-up when required - Manage occasional additional ad hoc tasks related to the production department, at the request of the Production Manager
- Quality of Work output (Attention to Detail) - Produces high quality work with few errors or rework required. Minimum waste of time or resources, yielding work output. - Decision Quality - Makes good decisions based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement. Effectively balances high quality and optimum volume. Has a high accuracy rate with respect to decisions over time. Is sought out by others for advice and solutions.
- Interpersonal Savvy (Collaboration and Communication) - Has strong English written and verbal communication skills. Good consultative approach. Has good success building constructive relationships across, and outside the organization, and is able to leverage those relationships to effectively implement changes. Builds rapport easily on short phone/video calls. Closes the information loop by making sure they both understand others and are understood by others. Is truthful and constructive in all communications. - Customer Focus - Is dedicated to exceeding the expectations of the customer. Acts with the customer in mind. Maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect. Listens well, and is not defensive.
Compliance / Administration
- Process Oriented - Consistently executes detailed protocols; is dedicated to providing the best service and process. - Organizational Skills - Manages time effectively, handles multiple demands and competing deadlines. Sets realistic goals and manages progress toward goal completion. Develops plans, estimates time frames and monitors progress. Identifies and uses good processes and procedures for managing work. Arranges files and information in a useful, logical and easy to retrieve manner. Effectively manages multiple projects, demands and competing deadlines. Consistently attains goals because of their planning and organizing abilities. - Time Management- Uses their time effectively and efficiently. Concentrates their time on the more important priorities. Gets more done in less time than others. Can attend to a broader range of activities. Avoids traps of only being able to concentrate on one thing for a stretch of time or the other extreme of only reacting to what is hot at the moment - Problem Solving - Uses rigour, fact-based data and logic to solve difficult problems. Able to use business experience and judgement to independently “navigate” to find the answer to problems on their own.
- Accountability (Ability to meet deadlines, ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative) - Takes accountability and ownership for their job and wants to be successful. Has a strong work ethic. Takes pride in doing a great job and conveys this pride to their team mates and customers. Has the ability to consistently meet deadlines.
- Curiosity - We want our team members to be naturally driven by curiosity. - Perseverance - We want our team members to persevere in the face of challenges. - Problem Solvers - We want our team members to identify and tackle the root of problems, rather than curing symptoms. - Excellence - We wish to hire and retain increasingly outstanding team members, creating an environment of awesome colleagues.
*Your application: Please apply through Indeed; include a cover letter and resume. We thank all applicants for their interest, but can only respond to those considered for the position.
- Dental care - Extended health care - Life insurance - Paid time off - Vision care