ABOUT JMIR PUBLICATIONS
JMIR Publications is transforming scholarly communications as the fastest growing open-access publisher of peer-reviewed Science, Technology, and Medicine journals. We are seeking enthusiastic candidates for the position of Managing Editor.
Our Social Mission at JMIR Publications is to transform scholarly communication and make health and medical information available to people when they need it. While our primary users and clients are academic authors and researchers, we are developing innovative products and services for other user groups such as patients and consumers. JMIR creates and leverages the latest technologies to organize conferences, researcher connections, social and online media content platforms, and our award-winning innovative knowledge translation products that connect people to research.
Reporting to the Senior Editorial Manager, the Managing Editor is responsible for the day to-day editorial operations for key journals (a subset of JMIR’s 30+ journal portfolio). This role collaborates closely with in-house Editorial team colleagues, and Copyediting, Production and Engineering teams. The Managing Editor also works closely with external Editors-in-Chief and Editorial Board members to achieve the strategic goals of each journal.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Preferably a health, medicine, science, information technology, library/information science degree with demonstrated scientific experience (not journalism or arts degrees) - Excellent proofreading/writing skills in (American) English - Excellent oral and written communication skills - Ability to consistently meet deadlines - Ability to work independently and demonstrate initiative - Ability to work effectively in teams and groups - Sound and mature judgment; decisive and tactful when working with multiple stakeholders - Technical proficiency, with hands-on skills using current software such as Google Suite, Microsoft Word, etc. - Experience in peer-reviewed scholarly (STM) publishing is a plus
What you'll be doing:
- Managing day-to-day editorial operations - Improving and communicating workflows and processes - Coordinating with Senior Management team in recruitment of new Editors-in-Chief when required Setting and monitoring targets for the journal - Supporting Editors-in-Chief to develop the journal - Managing and developing Editorial Boards; organizing Editorial Board meetings - Working with the Peer Review Manager to ensure articles in review meet expected turn-around times Maintaining ethical and scientific standards for the journal - Coordinating on-time publication of theme issues and conference abstracts - Managing ongoing and ad-hoc projects, including the launch of new journals - Ensuring external and internal-facing documentation, including Instructions for Authors, reflects current Editorial and Production processes - Acting as the point of contact for Editorial Assistants, Scientific Editors, Reviewers and Authors, as well as Production, Marketing, Engineering and Customer Support departments - Representing the journal at conferences - Providing assessments on journal performance, competitive landscape for use by Editors-in-Chief and JMIR marketing initiatives
COMPENSATION & WHAT WE OFFER
- A very competitive base salary based on experience
- Extensive 100% employer-paid insurance benefits (Extended Health Care, Dental Care, Vision Care, and Life Insurance) - Great atmosphere with great people to work with - Opportunity to be part of a dynamic, high-performance team where you can develop and advance your career in a fast-growing organization
- Flexible/temporary, due to COVID-19
JMIR Publications is an equal opportunity employer. We wish to thank all those who apply, however, only those individuals whose skills and experience most closely match our requirements will be contacted by a member of our team.
All interviews will be held via video conference. Please send your resume as a PDF or word attachment and include a personal email address.